Thursday, November 20, 2014

Shed Some Light

34 days and Santa will have been to visit and left all those gaily wrapped pressies underneath our trees!   As one of Santa's elves, 
I need light to complete the work Santa left me with, so when the sewing machine is off I resort to having to finish much by hand, however I simply cannot see in the dark (cause I never really went to night school), I need candlelight!!

Having a hydro outage does not help when you have a list as long as the one Santa has and only one pair of hands to make it all happen.  When this happens I freak out a little, but I do have hand work that can be done so the time isn't wasted, but, where I live, in the country and not close enough to any shops where you can buy necessities, once the Hydro goes out, especially when darkness descends, the wonderful Candle becomes very important. 

According to the National Candle Association "Candles have been used for light and to illuminate man’s celebrations for more than 5,000 years, yet little is known about their origin."  And that today's "Candles have come a long way since their initial use. Although no longer man’s major source of light, they continue to grow in popularity and use. Today, candles symbolize celebration, mark romance, soothe the senses, define ceremony, and accent home decors — casting a warm and lovely glow for all to enjoy."
Knowing winter is definitely upon us, many towns and cities all over North America seem to be having severe weather, the possibility of hydro disruptions is a certainty!
Like many, I love candles for the ambiance mood setting light, but I also am in love with Vintage and things that are natural, combined candles and a holder and you have yourself a winner!
I have discovered some wonderful candle sellers at Etsy!   Some combine the candle and the vessel it is in, while others craft the vessels to hold your favorite type of candles. 

One such shop that combines the useful and pretty candle with a lovely vintage item is HappyAccidentCandles !  It is there where I found some very beautiful candles inside some wonderful vintage vessels (holders)...quite unique!  Like this Vintage Royal Cauldon Tea Cup and Saucer Soy Wax Candle that is scented with jasmine and honeysuckle blended with hints of herbal rosemary and sage and top notes of orange and lemon to create a light floral scent called MUMS and MARIGOLDS.  There is a good variety of various vintage cups and saucer combinations, and these make for very safe candle

burning and once used up, the vessel itself may be reused with the use of a new candle.  I found for myself a favorite vintage piece being a peach frosted glass lamp shade over one of those huge jar candles!!   They'd go well with any large apothecary jar candle as well as any decor to be certain!



Then over at the OpenVintaeShutters shop I discovered these beautiful candle Lanterns, oh my but these are useful but oh so pretty!
This one happens to be a favorite for me!
Over at the ChurchHouseWoodworks shop you'll find some very interesting rustic candle holders....like this grouping!  
It is wonderful to see wood used in this way without being discarded!

At the Zlantern shop you will find a huge variety of hand made Zinc Lanterns, my but these are pretty!  Who could resist being drawn to one of these lanterns?
While at the FloatsamandJetsamCrafts shop there is another rustic candle holder made from Driftwood!  Makes a beautiful table centerpiece!

Candles are important to me especially when the lights go out and I need light for my work, but also because lighting in various forms doesn't have to stem from hydro electricity!  Candles can and do set a scene, a tone, a mood even make just about any celebration a very special affair!

I fortunately do not have any little people running around my home, but, selecting a safe holder for your candle is also a very important consideration.
Always be safe with candles, make certain you know you've extinguished them properly before abandoning the room you've lit with them for the night!

Set your Christmas decorating to include candles and attractive candle holders which are safe and pretty to look at and enjoy!

****The choice of items I choose to write about is my own, I am not affiliated with any crafting community, sellers or the shop owners or individual or company!    I do not extract nor do I get paid  for my publications of any item or items or personal opinions contained within this my personal blog.   I do not know nor am I affiliated with any person or shop I write about whatsoever*****








No comments: